Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

From Crochet to General Relativity

Sometimes you run across an idea that is so simple but so profound that you just have to sit back in wonder.

I have been working a lot with chain and plat sinnets the last week or so, playing with various ideas to see what I can come up with that could be used in "survival' situations, (or just for fun) so when I saw a video over at TED on someone who had been crocheting models of coral reefs, I had to check it out. (crochet is a special application of different chain sinnet knotting techniques) What I found was brilliant!

So I give you Margaret Wertheim on the beautiful math of coral.



WARNING: Watching this will probably make you smarter

4 comments:

Salma Amelia said...

Dear Mushtaq,
OMG!!! I was about 14 years old on George Air Force Base, CA, Mojave Desert region, when our neighbor, a Japanese woman, taught me how to crochet "carnations" that look almost exactly like the red corals in this video! I still have some yarn she gave me that was made in Japan. It is very fine and delicate. I have it in red, pink, blue..... I'll have to make one as I gave the ones I made over the years away as gifts. They look so real, that in a vase they are hard to tell apart from the real thing....... Salma

steve-vh said...

Cole guessed Infinity.

Mo'in said...

Dear Mushtaq,

Wow...this is a very neat lady...thanks for sharing this!

Kindest wishes,

mo'in

Mike said...

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing this, Mushtaq.

I am wondering if you've seen 'Avatar' yet? If you haven't, you need to!

Cheers,

-Mike (sufi-studies member)