Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fun Music

With a fun name

Meet Pomplamoose, an Indi Group from the Bay Area. I just discovered them last night, and I have to say I find them quite charming and engaging. (If it weren't for YouTube I'd be so far behind the times....)

The group consists of Nataly Dawn and Jack Conte, two very talented musicians. Ms. Dawn sings (with a very sweet voice, a little reminiscent of Feist, but with her own character) and plays the bass guitar. Mr. Conte plays everything but the kitchen sink (and I wouldn't be surprised to see him work that in on some tune or another) and does backup vocals.

They are using a medium that I was not familiar with called a "VideoSong". They describe it (from their YouTube site) as:


A VideoSong is a new Medium with two rules:

1. What you see is what you hear (no lip-syncing for instruments or voice).
2. If you hear it, at some point you see it (no hidden sounds).
This turns out to be a pretty fun format, and it puts music videos back in the hands of musicians, even if they don't have million dollar budgets.

I really got a kick out of their music. They cover a lot of songs, and do their own material. They even manage to make a tune from a TV commercial sound good.

I am a little envious of my friends in SF. The next time I'm out that way I will be hoping they will be playing live somewhere near.

I am going to exert what little influence I have with WYCE (one of the world's best stations) to see if I can't get their music a little air time. With any luck they might just get really popular here in West Michigan and end up playing here one day.

Here are a couple of videos by Pomplamoose for your enjoyment. You can find a lot more on their YouTube Channel. You can also find their music on itunes.

..

..


..

..

5 comments:

Janet said...

You never know, some friendly WYCE dj might find a way to honor that request;-)

jasonencke said...

I really enjoyed that, thanks Mushtaq.

Thorn said...

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26eyBmUwi6w

Anonymous said...

I need a fitness equipment or any other good excercise machine, to use at home. are there any websites where i can purchase this item? so i can train at habitation. as this is the most excellently product to purchase as it train all the body.

Mushtaq Ali said...

The best fitness equipment is the body god gave you, gravity, and a little ingenuity.