Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Monday, November 09, 2009

Autumn Leaves as a Training Tool

Or, "How to run better and play like a kid at the same time"

I was out working with a client today. This of course means different things with different people. In this case we were working on his running.

It was a fine autumn day here in West Michigan with the parks and most of the streets and sidewalks covered in leaves. As it happens, a leaf covered running trail is a wonderful thing for improving one's stride. All you have to do is run through them and listen. You will be able to hear if you are dragging your feet, or any number of things that will mess with good stride.

Then all you have to do is try to run more quietly. The quietest stride will be the one where you pick up your feet and land them directly under your center of mass. So when you are running (or walking for that matter) with just the light crunching sound of compressing directly down on the leaves without any of the scuffing sounds, your stride will be very good.

Also, it's just fun to run through autumn leaves.

Give it a try next time you're out.

Here's a little running music, "The Hunt" from Azam Ali and Niyaz.

..


..

4 comments:

Salma said...

Dear Mushtaq,
This clip reminds me of a certain "Sawz" that has been sitting silent but safe for quite some time now....... S

sabiwabi said...

I've run through the leaves more times this Autumn alone than any other time in my life, childhood included.

Wait, does that mean that I'm regressing?

Eh, so be it!

You know I am going to have to jump on that ferry one day Mushtaq....I need to take your "running 101" class!

Salma said...

Dear Mushtaq,
I don't know which is a more pleasant experience- the sound of fallen leaves as you move through them (at any pace) or the smell of them, which is enough to make me positively giddy!! But, then again, I did say that Sesame Street is a bit too much overstimulation for me, didn't I? Hmmm..... I don't think there was such a thing as "Hypersensitivity" when I was growing up, or if there was, I must have slipped through the cracks of the "System". Changing schools every year or two in the Air Force probably accounts for it...... S

jasonencke said...

There's not too many leaves on the ground here in our part of Florida but the good news it's not in the upper 90's with 100% humidity anymore either.