Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Ugly Rears Its (ugly) Head Again

My, how people go on.

I have been getting calls and emails all week from people who have been contacted by Buzz or one of his minions on this subject.

They seem upset (not my friends, buzz and the people who are brown nosing him).

Mostly, at this point I wouldn't be saying anything more on the subject. Buzz, it seems, has no interest in a meet at a tournament himself, but has found himself a "champion" to do his fighting for him.

His "champion" has issued a challenge, I accepted. that pretty much means that the verbal phase of the exercise is over as far as I am concerned. Time to put up or shut up.

But it seems like they would rather try to talk me to death.

I really don't care, my ability to ignore trolls who talk bad on the 'net but never seem to find the time to back it up with action is pretty good.

There is one thing I do need to address though, because it doesn't have anything to do with me, and it is a flat out lie.

Here's the background.

About three years ago I developed cataracts. Years of living at high altitudes and under equatorial sun took its tole I suppose. There was a problem though. I did not have any insurance, and did not qualify for any assistance.

The upshot was that by the beginning of last year all I could see out of my right eye was light, and out of my left, basic shapes.

A couple of friends decided to do a fund raiser to generate the money to get my eyes fixed. The money was raised, We found a topnotch surgeon who was willing to do the work for cost, Now I can see, 20-20 distance vision without glasses no less. How kewl is that?

Now here's the thing, I have never known who donated money or how much. I did not want to embarrass any of my friends because of their generosity, nor did I want anyone who was not able to give something (I have a good number of friends who would give me the shirt off their back, but unfortunately, they don't own a shirt) to feel bad about it.


But now it seems that Buzz is telling everyone how ungrateful I am because he donated so much money to my eye fund. one of his minions has even claimed (I assume because Buzz told him so) that Buzz donated more than anyone else. (funny how Buzz will talk to the whole world, but won't discuss this matter with me directly)

After hearing this, I asked the person who was head fund raiser if this were the case. According to her, it is not even close, several people donated more, quite a bit more.

So This Is A Lie.

It is also an insult to the several people who donated quite a bit more than him, and an even greater insult to the people who gave what they could, and could not match the sum he donated.

Am I grateful for Buzz's donation? Sure, but not any more so that to the person who could only give a dollar, or to the people who wished that they had the money to add to the fund but didn't. Does it give him license to attack me on his blog or to my friends? No.

So, here's the thing. There was a chunk of money left over after the surgery. A goodly chunk of that went to pay the mortgage payment on the house I was living in at the time, more than the size of Buzz's donation. Since the people who live in that house are Buzz's friends we will assume that his money went to them rather than me. I am sure that they will be suitably grateful, and I can wash my hands of the fellow. If that's not suitable, then I will give him the sum of his donation back (you read it here first) because I don't want that kind of money.

And I will remind Buzz (you bet he reads this blog) of the words of Jesus (as) as recounted by Matthew.

1. "Be careful that you don't do your charitable giving before men, to be seen by them, or else you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2. Therefore when you do merciful deeds, don't sound a trumpet before yourself, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may get glory from men. Most certainly I tell you, they have received their reward.
3. But when you do merciful deeds, don't let your left hand know what your right hand does,
4. so that your merciful deeds may be in secret, then your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
As to the so called challenge, Here's my terms.

I will be happy to meet Buzz, or his boy if Buzz doesn't want to step up, at next years Pacific Island Gathering and Tournament. Everyone pays the entrance fees, everyone abides by the decisions of the Referee and judges. John (the guy who puts on the tournament) owns all video rights.

This last part is important. John donates whatever profits he makes off this tournament (never much) to St Jude's hospital. I figure there are a goodly number of people who would pay to see either Buzz or I get beat in a fight (and a lot more who would pay to see Beer Boy in the ring), so kids who need medical treatment and can't afford it are the ones who benefit.

And remember, trash talking someone across the internet is not a match.

That's pretty much what I have to say on the subject.

Adendum:
Since this is taking on the aspect of a Spaghetti Western, here's my theme music

2 comments:

AF1 said...

It seems to me like Buzz Smith himself should face off against you.

But if he is allowed a "champion" then you are too...have you considered that option?

Mushtaq Ali said...

That would be the ideal, and it's not like Buzz is without skill. As I have pointed out in various accounts here, his ability is quite good, he is just not interested in such things I guess.

A good number of people (a couple of whom I have never even met)have pointed out that I would be entitled to a champion as well and have offered their services, but where's the fun in that? If there is any reason to be doing this, it's to make the point that people should be accountable for their words and actions, and that as martial artists, we have a way to be accountable that is open to us.

The internet would be a much quieter place if we all knew that we would have to confront the people we talk about on the mat directly. Personally I think this would be a good thing, and it would definitely improve the quality of one's art.