Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Got tagged

Boy, it's been a while since that's happened.

Tagging is a game bloggers used to play back in the early ages of writing these things. These things often took the form of a series of interview questions, or just asked for a list of things.

Well Sabiwabi Honom (for the person asked why I always add that word to her name, it's a term of respect, a little like the English Ma'am) tagged me with

“5 (Random) Things That I Love.”

OK, let's see....... There's my cat

This is Wingnut. I'm not really a cat person but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He was originally a kitten brought home by one of my old house-mates, but he decided that I was his human, and spent most of his time hanging out with me. I have to admit, he is a pretty amusing critter.

Then there's Frybread!

today I cooked Indian Tacos (Buffalo chili served on frybread) for my friend Steve. He is going to have surgery done on his shoulder this week, so we had a little dinner party for him after training. Yeah Frybread!

Dune, by Frank Herbert.

It's one of my all time favorite books. His whole series of Dune books was some of the best fiction I have read.

I read Dune for the first time in '65 or '66. It was the first book I read over again the moment I finished it.
Herbert created one of the most compelling universes I have ever read in and I have found the stories of Dune to be at the level of modern mythology.

Here is the song "Inama Nushif" written in the Chaksobsa language of the Fremen, sung by the incomparable Azam Ali




Inama nushif
Inama nushif (She is eternal)
Al ­asir hiy ayish (No malice can touch)

Lia-anni (Singular and ageless)
Zaratha zarati (Perpetually bound)

Hatt al-hudad (Through the tempest)
Al-maahn al-baiid (be it deluge or sand)
Ay-yah idare (A singular voice)
Adamm malum (speaks through the torrent)

Hatt al-hudad (Through the tempest)
Al-maahn al-baiid (be it deluge or sand)
Ay-yah idare (A singular voice)
Adamm malum (speaks through the torrent)

Inama nishuf al a sadarr (Forever her voice sings)
Eann zaratha zarati (through the ages eternally bound)

Kali bakka a tishuf ahatt (Sacrifice is her gift)
Al hudad alman dali (one that cannot be equaled)

Inama nishuf al a sadarr (Forever her voice sings)
Eann zaratha zarati (through the ages eternally bound)

Kali bakka a tishuf ahatt (Sacrifice is her gift)
Al hudad alman dali alia (that Alia will one day equal)

Inama nushif (She is eternal)
Al ­asir hiy ayish (No malice can touch)

Lia-anni (Singular and ageless)
Zaratha zarati (Perpetually bound)


Playing with sharp pointy things.


video

What can I say?

and finally there's Tanzanian Hip Hop





Largely unknown outside of East Africa The Hip Hop movement of Tanzania is gritty, down to earth, socially conscious music (unlike its competitor "Bongo Flava") Some of the very best comes from Arusha.

so there's my list.

To pass it on I tag
Janet
Tiel
(both of whom I challenge to do their lists as poetry)
Steve Van Harn
(who will need to be doing something while he recovers)
And Steve Perry
(because he will come up with an interesting list)

8 comments:

Janet said...

all done just for you
no grass grows under these feet
here's my list of faves:

http://jaleeza.blogspot.com/2009/10/5-things-i-love-i-dont-normally-play.html

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

My list is seasonal and rather nonrandom. 5 Things About October

Steve Perry said...

Careful what you wish for ...

steve-vh said...

Here ya go
http://pokingthetiger.blogspot.com/2009/10/tagged.html

Salma said...

Dear Mushtaq,
Once upon a time I had a cat with the same coloring as your Wingnut. His name was "Dickens", a most fitting name for him. He was full of it!
And too bad I must live gluten- free, or I would ask you for your frybread recipe. There's nothing comparable to wheat, unfortunately, but I am learning to live without it. S

sabiwabi said...

Nice list Mushtaq. I figured you'd write about a knife somewhere on that list. LOL. Frybread too, hey? Do you make your own dough? Just curious.

Thanks for responding to the meme, not everyone loves to get tagged.


PS what language is "Honom" taken from?

Mushtaq Ali said...

Salaam Sabi Honom, It's Farsi, also spelled Khanum, from the same meaning as Khan. I first learned it without the "k" and still write it like that out of habit.

I do make my own dough when I make frybread. I sort of just channel Indian Granny ladies, and it comes out pretty good as a rule.

I was honored to be tagged :-)

Salma said...

Dear Mushtaq,
After re-reading this post I was struck by the fact that you put Wingnut at the top of your list of "things" you love. Even after having said that you are not a cat person and that you had originally intended not to take him in! He must really be dear to you afterall to make it to the top of your list and even warrant a photo......... : ) S