Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hypocrite in Spanish is hipócrita

Just in case Mr. 9/11 was wondering.

I caught this on Dan Abrams show last night and was floored by it.

Mr. "tough on immigration, everybody in America should speak English" Rudy Giuliani put out a campaign ad in Florida in Spanish!

That's right Giuliani is such a vote grubbing hypocrite that he is willing to try to get the votes of the very people he has been attacking by putting out an ad in a language he says they should not be allowed to speak as Americans.

Crooks and Liars picked up the segment and published it here. Take a look at it if you want to see just how pathetic Giuliani actually is. He outdoes even Romney in the "say anything to get a vote" category

Can you say "¡hijo de puta!" Mr. Giuliani?
I knew you could!

Here's the thing. Spanish is not a "language of immigrants". It has as much history here, perhaps more, than English does.

As an English teacher I would like to see everyone have the opportunity to learn learn the language well. I would like to see more Americans learning Spanish as well. Both are useful languages, both are part of our history.

Dumping on people who prefer to speak Spanish, or suggesting that they are less "American" is racist bullshit. America is not just the east coast, nor is it just the mid-west. It is the WHOLE country, including places with names like Colorado, Los Angeles, San Francisco and New Mexico.

My grand Mother, who's family has been living here f0r the last ten thousand years or so, refused to speak English, even though she could do so fluently. She considered it the language of theft and murder, and beneath her.

When someone came around who couldn't speak Apache or Spanish I would often translate for her. It was funny, most people never caught on, even though they would ask a question and she would answer it in Indeh before I had a chance to translate it to her. So I would end up only translating her part of the conversation.

It is rather odd actually. We are getting more Spanish speakers here in West Michigan, and I have heard comments by people, when they have heard someone speaking Spanish to the effect of it is "disgusting", though I have never heard anyone referring to people speaking Dutch here as "disgusting". We do have a far number of Dutch speakers here, and Dutch style celebrations, and no one blinks an eye.

So Dutch is not an Un-American Language but Spanish is? Go figure.

7 comments:

Janet said...

Hey, don't insult the "putas" ;-)

steve-vh said...

The celebrations are just themepark crap to bring in tourism dollars. Even they don't get the vocaulary right. I had to go to College to learn Dutch, there were no other opportunities.
And my mother didn't speak Dutch when she came over after WWII because it sounded too much like German. I only learned a few words from her.
Not saying I disagree with you, there's plenty of issues on both sides created by themselves and you helped open my mind to them.

steve-vh said...

The celebrations are just themepark crap to bring in tourism dollars. Even they don't get the vocaulary right. I had to go to College to learn Dutch, there were no other opportunities.
And my mother didn't speak Dutch when she came over after WWII because it sounded too much like German. I only learned a few words from her.
Not saying I disagree with you, there's plenty of issues on both sides created by themselves and you helped open my mind to them.

Steve Perry said...

Mitt is a scary dude. Rudy comes across oily enough to make an eel envious. Thompson is a Bush clone. McCain, I used to like, until he rolled over and became Bush's lap dog during the last Republican convention.

And Huckleberry? Don't even think it ...

maria de feral said...

Love your Obama poster! Just remember: there are more registered Democrats and Independents in this country than Republicans. The only reason these people would ever be in power is because the Ds and Is don't go to the polls. They are passive complainers. Rs would never be in office is the Ds and Is would put their money where their mouth is!!!!!

B said...

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

Saw the quote today and thought it was apropos.

Audrey said...

It is such a shame to me that in this country those who are not white and blonde are persecuted against...Me, I'm as stereotypical as they come. Blonde hair, Blue eyes, and skin white enough to make a glass of milk jealous, yet I am learning Spanish. I went to Europe and they have 5 different languages and subtitles on everything...America is the land of hypocrites