Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Time To Declare

I've given this a lot of thought, I've watched and listened to all the candidates from both parties


Barack Obama Logo

In some ways this has been one of the harder choices I have made for an election, in others, one of the easiest.

After Six + years of George Bush and company running our country into the ground the Democrats could run a hamster and get him elected (Assuming that there is an election, I notice that more of the far Right wants Bush to declare himself President For Life)

The entire field of Republican candidates, with the exception of Ron Paul, are so clueless that they think that acting like Bush is a good thing, Paul doesn't stand a chance of getting elected.

I had entertained a couple of good thoughts about Romney, but after seeing the way he turned his back on that Muscular Dystrophy victim, I realized that the guy was barely human, and we have had enough of that with Bush and Chaney.

I have to admit, I am not totally happy with any of the democrats, all of them have problem areas.

I just can't bring myself to vote for Clinton. She is just another prepackaged political robot as far as I can tell.

She would do a better job than Bush, I have no doubt of that, but I suspect she owes too much to the various special interests that have given her lots of money. Bottom line, I think she would rather be a ruler than a leader, and we have had too much of that already.

Richardson has a lot going for him, he IS from New Mexico after all :-) but I don't think he has the charisma the job will require to unite the country again.

In some ways I like Kucinich best of all, but I don't think he can win, and it is essential that America elect someone who can and will restore our democracy, and that means no more Republicans in the White House for a while.

Obama has his problems. The fact that he was working the same stage as the anti-gay preacher lost him a few points with me. One of the things I use for judging a politician is how they treat the least powerful, most disenfranchised people, and in today's America that would be illegal immigrants and gays.

What finally sold me on Obama was listening to him during the MTV MySpace interview yesterday.

He is actually willing to dialog with people, not just feed them slogans and sound bites. I came away from that interview feeling like he would do a good job, and he is not afraid to actually interact with the people he is representing.

So I came to the conclusion that I had to support him as the best one of the bunch and the one most likely to restore America to a Democracy.

So my dear readers, what I would ask you to do is this. Think of what kind of country you would like to live in, then listen to all the candidates. Listen to them beyond the canned messages and slogans, find the one that will do the best job (and I don't mean the one someone else told you was the right one) Think For Yourself, and really participate in this election. Remember, this is not a sports event, even though we often act like it is, this is the single most important thing we do as a nation. Vote for the country you want to live in, not just one issue.

The Ticket I'd like to see? Obama for President, Kucinich for VP and Richardson as Secretary of State. New York can keep Clinton.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a Obama / Gore ticket.

Could happen.

David

Brad said...

Not to keen on the idea of Gore on the ticket, but I've been backing Obama since day 1.

Intelligent, articulate, seems to care about the people not the position.

Few down sides, like you mentioned. But all around I feel the best choice.

And it's about time.

Todd said...

My dream ticket is Colbert-Stewart.

I'd be overjoyed if Gore ran. He won once. He can win again.

My favorite among the actual candidates is Kucinich by several lengths. If he's still in the race when the primaries get around to Oregon I'll vote for him.

But of the likely ones I'd have to say Obama.

Clinton is a good moderate Republican. I don't want another Republican in the White House.

Janet said...

Make it Stewart-Colbert (Steven is a bit Cheney-ish, doncha think?;-)

I line up with Kucinich on pretty much every issue, but don't have much hope for him- I think it's the ears...

Though as a woman, it pains me to not vote for The Chick, Hillary's just way too establishment to do what needs to be done.

I would probably vote for Gore given the chance, but doubt he'll show up as someone's Veep again.

Probably will come down to Obama. I'd feel better if he seemed more committed to staying out of Iran.



Obama has the charisma and that's an important piece of the puzzle.

Michael B. said...

I am also backing Obama....I have been following his campaign and watching his speeches via YOUTUBE and he is the only one who is making any sense to me. I also like Edwards but I feel he will be thrown under the bus by those same twits who ruined him last time out..this shows a lack of backbone..and this time around we need someone with some MANA (spirit) and Obama is it.

As to Clinton...it was summed up most eloquently on last weeks bill Maher show;

"Hilary Clinton is Dick Cheney in a pants suit"

John said...

I am personally leaning towards a write-in vote for Stephen Colbert.

Seriously, the only problem I have with Obama is his insistence on "keeping all options on the table" when it comes to Iran. I think we all know what this means. I can only hope that on this issue he is just another lying, posturing politician.

Also, after the eight years of Republican party rule I am loathe to see another party take complete control. "Absolute power . .." and all that.

John said...

An NYT story today on Barack Obama and Iran:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/110207M.shtml

Zareba said...

This si my first visit to your blog, but I must say it will not be the last. What an interesting view of the world, displaying both a serious side and a side with tongue in cheek. Thank you for being thought provoking.

...Z

Anonymous said...

Vote Ron Paul, yes, he is trying to get the Republican nomination but he won't get it. He will have to come home to the Libertarian Party. There are more than two parties.

John Galt