Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

How to make a Cheap Kettlebell

For fun and bulkiness of muscle

Some years ago, my buddy Steve Barnes showed up at my door with a new toy, a thing called a kettlebell, which was basically an iron cannonball with a handle.



We spent several hours playing with the thing and getting a feel for exactly how it might differ from conventional dumbbells.

They were a lot of fun, and we both thought that they had several advantages over conventional weights, but there was one BIG disadvantage, They were EXPENSIVE!!! I could buy a whole set of dumbbells for the price of a single 35 lb kettlebell.

I was interested in exploring this piece of equipment though, so I went out to my shop and gave the problem some thought.

I came up with a very serviceable alternative, which looks like this.

While there are one or two things that you can't do with these (they do not lend themselves to being used inverted) you can do 98% of all kettlebell exercises just fine with them.

I did a short instructional file on how to make these for some friends, but managed to misplace the thing. Well I found it tonight!

I have put it in a much safer place, and now I can share the thing with anyone who is interested and doesn't want to drop a few hundred dollars on a set of kettlebells.

Click here to download the PDF

and may you have a good time building them and a better time using them.

If you find that you have gotten value from this and saved a bunch of money you can say "thank you" by doing something like feeding someone who is hungry with a little bit of the money you saved by not paying the usurious prices charged for the commercial ones.

9 comments:

Jason said...

There is a problem with the link...would love to download this...

ksmaguro said...

MAN!
you should have said you were looking for that file. I have had it sitting on an old drive for a long time. In fact, I just recently sent it to Steve Perry.
I should try making it sometime....
I would probably throw my back out however. I recently came across a video of us in Napa and you are on the phone in the background and I am being shown some basic uses for the kettlebell and am not doing them well. You are overheard to say, "I need to go before someone does some damage to themselves," or something along those lines.
:-)
Take care,
Jay

Mushtaq Ali said...

I just test downloaded it without problem. The best way is to right click (or command click if you're using a mac) and the save the link that way.

If that doesn't work go to
http://www.archive.org/details/HowToMakeACheapKettlebell
and you can download it from there.

The Internet archive is a bit slow sometimes because it is a high use site.

Michael B. said...

Great post Mushtaq..I am a huge supporter of KB's...they helped heal my busted up back and definitely yoke you out strength wise...

One Dog said...

You can't make a closed loop with threaded pipe without using unions.

Mushtaq Ali said...

Sure you can. You need some epoxy to make sure that the pipes stay where they are when you have finished is all.

You just thread the pipes all the way in on one side (using the slow setting epoxy on the threads. Then you back them out half way to thread them on the other side. I do this on the upright pipes to minimize possible stress. Then there is no need for unions.

Anonymous said...

why does the finished product look like it was freshly painted? that is not the look of duct tape.

ahmad said...

Hey Mushtaq, great blog, I'm going to try and make this kettle thing, got some rotator cuff, knee, back lol all sorts of issues from bjj training but want to get back and start training again and found out about this kettle thing and hoping it will help strengthen some weak points as far as tendons and ligaments, etc. Nice running into your blog. peace.

Aliaksandr Isakau said...

I came across http://cheap-kettlebells.com , their kettlebel price database shows RKC bells are the most expensive out there, chapest bells they have in database for example 55$ for 16kg shipped comparing to 114$ at dragondoor... do the math