Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Friday, October 20, 2006

Someone to watch

Yesterday I was looking for the lyrics to a Leonard Cohen song.

In my wanderings around the net I ran across a blog that had a list of everyone who had ever covered a different Cohen song, "Hallelujah". (You perhaps remember it from the excellent Rufus Wainwright cover in the movie Shrek).

I had not realized that so many artists had covered the song. As I scrolled down the list one name caught my eye, Arooj Aftab. I had never her, but I recognize a Muslim name when I see one, so I was intrigued.

I downloaded her version of the song and listened to it.

Now I should mention that I am a Leonard Cohen fan of long standing, and so am fairly critical of who does what with his work.

The song was wonderful!

Aftab's voice is rich and textured, with smoky, sultry undertones that are both restrained and powerful at the same time.

She was accompanied by a single guitar (which she played, I found out later). It was simple and understated, exactly what was needed to highlight her voice.

I was impressed.

I did a search to see if I could find out who this was.



Arooj Aftab is a young Pakistani woman who is studying music at the Berklee College of Music in Boston on the Steve Vai Scholarship. Her story is quite interesting, and there is more of it to find than just this link.

You can find more of her music at MySpace, and she has a blog as well.

It has been a while since I have been so impressed with someone who is just starting out.

Here is hoping that she will succeed in all of her musical endeavors and that we will hear much more of her in the future.

Check her out, you'll be glad you did.

categories

1 comment:

Janet said...

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man is a new tribute album with fine performances by the likes of Beth Orton, Rufus and Martha Wainwright, Nick Cave, Perla Batalla, Teddy Thompson and others. Check it out.