Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Friday, September 01, 2006

Martial Arts Politics

Or, "do human beings ever get past adolescence?"

I have to admit I am not much of a fan of the works of Ayn Rand, I tend to think of her as a silly and deluded woman that was strong enough to push her delusions into consensus reality. Anyone with even a modicum of critical thinking under their belt will see the myriad flaws in her world view.

That being said, I am very fond of a particular scene form the movie version of "The Fountainhead".

Gary Cooper, who plays Howard Roark is confronted by Ellsworth Toohey (played by Robert Douglas). Toohey has spent years trying to ruin Roark using every underhanded trick he can come up with, Toohey says to Roark;

"We're alone. Why don't you tell me what you think of me."
Roark replies
"But I don't think of you."
and walks off.

I have received a couple of emails from friends about the latest link I added to my blog roll. They are to the effect of "Did you know the guy you linked to is a student of Jeff Davidson? Why would you link to someone connected to that punk?"

As my friends know, Mr. Davidson, for reasons best known only to himself, has been bad-mouthing me for quite some while. I have always found this quite amusing being as we have never met and only spoken by phone about twice.

The thing is, I don't really care what the guy has to say about me, he doesn't know anything about me so there is nothing of value in what he says.

I put the link up to The Panday's Gazette because the guy sent me a polite note asking me to, and because I looked at his site and liked his work. It is hard enough for someone to get started in the knife business without all the martial arts politics, so I choose to put craft before politics.

Everyone has a choice, they get to focus on whatever they want. I choose to focus on my martial arts, on my craft and whatever I need to do to perfect both. Any time I would spend on petty back biting and silly "my Silat is better than his Silat" or whatever else people with too much time on their hands manage to come up with takes me away from what is important.

I have noticed that there are some people in the martial arts world who can't seem to live without strife. They make life miserable for everyone around them with their constant bickering. But if you don't play you have all this extra time for your Jurus, go figure.

categories



2 comments:

steve-vh said...

Amen, something to strive towards. If I let them take my time by pulling me in, shame on me, I am letting them steal something from me I can never get back.

Mike B. said...

I concur 100% here Mushtaq...martial politics are as useful as a fart in a whirl wind...but as we both know it does put $$ in the pockets of those who prefer quantity to quality...But I won't name names..LOL