Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Ugly Knife

In its latest incarnation.

Truthfully, this is a knife I designed rather selfishly.


I came up with the design as a personal carry knife that would meet several criteria that I felt to be important, even essential.

The blade is forged from 3/16 inch 1095 high carbon steel, which when tempered correctly is one of the very best blade steels.

The blade is three inches long and 1.5 inches wide, which makes it legal to carry in most of the US, even concealed in many, if not most States.



The grip is full tang, full width and 4.5 inches long. The grip is covered in "poor man's micarta", Hemp cord soaked in a slow setting epoxy resin. This provides a truly non-slip surface that is almost indestructible under most conditions. I have found that hemp cord is superior to silk for this use because of its density and wearing properties. The slow setting epoxy (it takes three days to completely cure) soaks entirely through the cord. I turn Turk's head knots at the top and bottom of the grip for an even more solid purchase.

The blade has jimping along the spine (that's a kind of file work cut into the blade) fore better control when the thumb is placed along the back of the blade for better cutting control.

I have not filed out the hammer marks on the blade nor have I removed the oxidation that has formed from the tempering fire. The last helps protect the blade from rust. This is important because carbon steel will rust if not cared for properly.

The knife was designed to be a tool first, and so the blade shape is one that lends itself to all manner of cutting chores I need to do daily. It has become my main tool for cutting out sheaths for the knives I make and is better than any set of shears for the job. I use it for skiving leather as well. For myself, I have always preferred a fixed blade over a folding blade for anything I do, and this knife was designed to meet my needs on the broadest level possible.

At need it is also a good blade for self defense and lends itself to most methods of blade use, but with an eye towards the Indonesian and African methods I am most comfortable with.

I named it the Ugly Knife (tm) because it has nothing of the cosmetic work that most custom knives sport, but all of the functionality of the best hand made blades.

categories





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully smart!

Ugly knife understands it's a term of endearment I hope:)

Mushtaq Ali said...

It does indeed. It has become a constant companion and a tool I rely upon ;-)

Don said...

Of all the beautiful knives you've presented here, this is the one that jumps out at me. I guess now's a good time (after a whole year in NY) to more thoroughly research the blade laws up here.

Mushtaq Ali said...

The State laws for NY are a bit vague, so be carful. You can carry this knife in NYC legally though, as long as it is conceled (go figure)

The link in the article takes you to knife laws State by State.

The whole point of this knife though is that its primary use is as a tool :-)

Unsane said...

I think it a rather pretty knife!

Don said...

This is the clause that gets me:
The possession by any person of any dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument, appliance or substance designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully against another [emphasis mine].

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think I like that ;)

This is why I miss Ohio :).

Mushtaq Ali said...

Ha, but that is why I designed it as a tool. It is the best knife I have ever used for working with heavy leather for instance.

Dan Gambiera said...

About all they'll allow you for self protection in NYC is AstroGlide and condoms :-<