Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Early American Knives

In August there will be a big "Pioneer Days" type shindig held at a small town in the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania.

Tribal Edge Knifeworks will be presenting a few of our blades there.

I am rather excited because I really love making early American historical knives. This also allows me to call on some of my other skills, like beadwork and leather work in ways that I don't usually get to do as often as I would like.

Here are just a few of the knives that the forge has been turning out for the event.

First is a patch knife. This is a small knife usually worn in a neck sheath and used to trim the patch of a musket ball when seating it, as well as a thousand small cutting chores.



The knife has a blade of high carbon steel and is hafted with deer bone.


The sheath is harness leather with a peyote stitch rosette.

Here are a couple more.


The first is often called a "scalp knife" though the pattern is what is known as an English trade knife and was extremely popular with both settlers and native peoples in the sixteen and seventeen hundreds.



It is also hafted with deer bone (hunting was good last season) and sports a thick carbon steel blade. As was usual with knives of this period, the hammer marks are left on the blade and the oxidation from the tempering process is not filed off to help protect the blade from rust.

The last knife is often called a "woman's knife" or a "possibles knife". They were often made by regrinding a larger knife that had been broken.


This one has peyote stitch around the deer bone handle and a two and three quarter inch blade.

There will me many more as well as a few tomahawks. Pictures will follow as we finish the blades.


categories

2 comments:

Terry said...

Did you say tomahawk???
I think I need to add to the wish list I have given you.
Hope all is well, Mushtaq.
Very nice work, BTW, I think these are great knives.

Adam said...

This all sounds cool, but the pictures are not showing up for me. I will have to sneek in and get a look at those after a class. Don't forget to show them to Janet when she is over there.