Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Knife Shop

How time flies!

I have been so busy with my latest project that I have really neglected the old blog.

For those of you who don't know, I am in western Michigan at the moment, setting up a knife making shop with a friend. My time has been eaten up with all the things involved with starting a new business.

We are calling the company "Tribal Edge Knife Works". The name reflects both the style of work (decidedly "primitive" and low tech for the most part) and the style of many of the blades we will be making.

I have always had a love for the traditional early American knives from the seventeen and eighteen hundreds and we will be reproducing several of the best of them.

We will also be making a few choice blade styles from Indonesia and Malaysia for Silat players, and of course we will be making some custom designs.

There is a pretty good salvage yard here and we have been exploring it for materials and equipment. It turned out to be a good source fore used electric motors which is a good thing as it will save a lot of money in having to buy new equipment. ($200 or more for a new 2" belt grinder or $10 to make your own). We have also found a good place to get fire brick for building a forge and tempering oven. (Yee-Ha)

We have just started making a few blades, here is a look at some unfinished work.



Starting on the left, the first knife you see is the "Zulu", it has been designed to complement a South African style of knife use I managed to learn a little about while living in Africa.

The second is called a "roach belly knife". It is a traditional early American knife used from the eastern woodlands to the Rockies. It is one of my favorite designs for a practical "working" knife.
The third is an experimental design. I am looking to make a very functional "utility" knife with a three inch fixed blade (which makes it legal to carry pretty much anywhere in the US outside of New York city) and that offsets some of the problems with a small knife.

The last knife is in the style of a "military fighter".

Today I am starting work on one of my own designs. I have been wanting to make this knife for a while now and am very excited to finally put it into steel.

Here is an early conceptual drawing I did of the blade, which I named the "Baraka" (which means "blessing").

It is a somewhat radical design, but believe it or not, it is quite practical for a number of different non-fighting related tasks. But more in this later.

categories




No comments: