Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Monday, June 27, 2005

Kansas

Sometimes you just have to make an unexpected move.

In my case it was dropping down to Kansas from Nebraska. Logically, I would have continued on the northern route and gone on through Iowa, but as it happened, I needed to make a stop in Kentucky for a meeting. So I decided to take a State road, dropping from interstate 80 to interstate 70.

This worked quite well until I crossed into Kansas near a town called Belleville.

I had passed through the town and was heading down the road when I noticed those red flashing lights that we all dread. I was not in fact speeding, so I had no idea why I was being pulled over.

A very nice local officer informed me that I had lost my tail lights, break lights and turn signals.

After checking the fuses, which were all just fine, I realized that there was something really wrong with the electrical system.

I enquired of the officer about nearby motels, and as luck would have it, there was one less than a mile away. The officer said he would follow behind me to make sure I was not rear ended in the dark (which I thought was rather kind of him, because in many cities I would have had to call a tow truck).

The motel was sitting all alone on a hill near the crossing of two State roads (I checked, there were no shrines to Legba that I could find).

I checked into the motel and gave U-Haul a call. Arrangements were made to fix the truck the next morning at a local car dealer. After I had everything set up I went to check the cargo.

After digging around I discovered the source of the problem.

One of the artifacts was packed poorly, and had worked itself out of its container. It was a little hungry I guess, because it went to work gnawing on the electrical wires. (note to self: Make sure that everyone can construct the Elder Sign correctly before you let anyone help pact sensitive objects again).

Fifteen minutes with a claw hammer and a cattle prod got it back in its container with no further mishaps.

The next morning I took the truck down to the repair shop.

As an aside, one thing I found to be interesting on this trip, was that from Wyoming on, all of the housekeepers in the motels were Anglo girls. It was a bit of a strange thing to me. In the western US this niche is filled almost exclusively by middle aged Hispanic women.

In Wyoming, the house keeper came into the room just as I was finishing my packing and without looking up, I greeted her in Spanish. I heard an "excuse me?" and looked up to see a blond haired, blue eyed girl of about 18 years with a rather quizzical look, behind the cart. It took a moment to recalibrate. I didn't even know that white girls could clean rooms. Live and learn.

I was told that it would take at least three hours to effect repairs to the electrical system. The mechanic who looked at the wiring called everyone in the shop over to look. There was some speculation that I has somehow driven through a puddle of acid. I decided to walk around and see what the area was like.




Kansas truly is the heartland. There were fields as far as the eye can see. There were mostly corn and soy bean.




There was a small river nearby, so there were trees growing.



There were hard working people around, but the area was sparsely populated.



A little way off the main road I found a lovingly tended cemetery. You can tell a lot about a community by its cemetery. This one had gravestones with dates going back to the civil War. There were several generations in family plots. I got the impression that people came here to stay.

categories



No comments: