Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Perks


I am not sure exactly how it happened, but somehow I over the years I have managed to become friends with several very good writers, the kind of writers that I actually like to read.

I remember quite vividly the very first writer I had ever met. It was my friend Steve Barnes. It was many years ago at a martial arts camp in the high desert that I had been invited to teach at.

I had read his first two solo novels, “Street Lethal” and “Kundalini Equation” and had really liked them. They were fresh, different, and made you think while being “house rocking” adventures.

Steve had come to the camp with his brother-in-law because of another teacher (no accounting for taste) and I was there with my Bro Tim, I was teaching “how to be sneaky 101” and I was also helping Tim with his class, “Small unit maneuvers for the terminally Californian”.

I am going to save exactly how Steve and I met for another time, but I will tell you that it was interesting.

We became fast friends, and I suspect that I have met most of the other writers I know through him.

There are a few perks to having writers for friends, the best of which is that from time to time you get a call, or an email asking it you would like to read a draft of a new book.

Every time I have been asked to read a draft it has been a delight, but some have that extra little something.

A week or so ago I got an email from Steve Perry asking if I would like to read the manuscript of his new book.

Now I would read anything Steve writes. He is one of those writers who I am pretty sure is somehow wired into just exactly what I like to read the most.

But this was a bit more special than that.

While Perry is known for a lot of different books, some of us hold that his “Matador” series is his very best stuff.

So when he told me that the novel he wanted me to read was a new story in this series. (I think I actually danced a jig around my office when I realized that there was going to be a new addition to the story).

Now I am not going to tell you anything about the story, other than it was really, REALLY, good, and that it fills in an important section of the Matador universe.

Trust me, if you have read any of Steve’s books you are going to want to read this one.

As a matter of fact you should really re-read the whole Matador series starting with “The Man Who Never Missed” just to refresh your memory.

You never read any of Perry’s works? Well now is the time to start.

If you are into martial arts, and you have any interest in them beyond the “hit them up-side the head” level then the Matador series is for you. If you like to think about the important questions then you will love these books. If you like “can’t put it down” adventure, well here ya go. If you like books that take a deep look into human relationships, then grab these and read them.

The Matador series should be in the library of every martial arts school, and did I mention that they are very good?

Have you gotten the idea that I want you to read these books? You will want to be caught up on everything that has happened in the series before the new one hits the stands.

Tell your friends, they will thank you for it.

And there will be a test on this material later.



Catagories

1 comment:

job opportunitya said...

Fine blog. I found your site suitable for another
visit! And when I'm able to surf the web, I look for
blogs as great as your work.
I'm looking at the possibility of checking your extended stay hotel colorado blog.