Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Thursday, November 25, 2004

What in the heck is a "Traceless Warrior"?

Something to aspire to.

I had to come up with a title for this thing, at first I thought I would call the blog "Mushtaq Ali's senile ramblings", but that lacked a certain euphony.

So I pondered a bit more and came up with "Traceless Warrior". I though it sounded suitably mysterious and profound so I slapped it into the title section.

Sun Tzu said:
to overcome your opponent without doing battle is the highest level of skill.
Therefore, the best strategy is to defeat the opponent's plans, next is to divide and disrupt the opponent's resources, and energy, next is to directly engage your opponent, and the worst is to attack your opponent when he is in a fortified or strong position.
I have always liked Sun Tzu's idea that the best General is one that you have never heard of because he defeats his opponent without having to bring the engagement to the level of overt "battle" so no one ever hears of him.

Think about it. Everyone knows the names of the people who have destroyed hundreds of cities and killed thousands of people, but no one knows the name of the guy who arranged events in such a way that his city was never attacked, or even noticed.

So to me, the greatest warriors are the ones you never see or hear of, who leave no trace of themselves because they have no ego involved in what they do, and who choose effectiveness and preserving life over fame and glory.

What is a "warrior"? Ever since the Sixties, when "Teachings of Don Juan" became popular, the term "warrior" has been tossed about and claimed by all manner of groups and philosophies, each one saying that they know the "truth of the "warrior".

Personally, I think that there is no one true definition of "warrior", there are only personal definitions which are true for each individual.

There is an old fable from Japan That I often use to illustrate what a warrior is to me;

One day the inhabitants of a certain pond decided that they should have a king. They held a meeting, and after much discussion they all agreed to ask Heron to be their king because he was such a great warrior.

So the inhabitants of the pond, the frogs, the fish, the mice and all the others, went to Heron and asked him to be their king. Heron agreed, and within a month the pond was empty, Heron had eaten them all. The moral of the story is "Never allow the warrior to be the king."

A warrior must be the servant of something greater than himself (or herself) or he runs the risk of devouring everything around him.

So to me, a warrior is one who serves something greater than himself. A warrior's first and greatest battle is against his own ego, his mechanical nature, his "body of habits".

That's why it is something to aspire to, at least for me.

4 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

Dang, sorry about all these comments. Just wanted to say I like your blog, and I mentioned it here.

Mushtaq Ali said...

Thanks for the kind words on your blog. I am happier than I can say to know that someone has read this thing :-D