Realities Created, Maintained and Destroyed, WHILE-U-WAIT!

Sunday, November 21, 2004

An Introduction

I guess one starts these things off with an introductory note.

I have to admit that I am not up on the whole blogging thing, I really didn't give it much thought until a friend asked me to hook up his blog to his website, but several of my students have said that I should put my thoughts out on a blog. Maybe they were just having fun at my expense.

I spend most of my time teaching, mostly what I teach is an obscure martial art that has its origins in Indonesia called Pencak Silat (pronounced Pentjak Silat for you English speakers) When I am in Africa I also teach English and computer graphics. I travel a lot. In the last eighteen months I have been entirely around the globe. My favorite places are the American South West (but I grew up there so I am a little biased) Northern Tanzania, Australia, Sweden. Places I like the least? Bosnia, Saudi Arabia, France.

Like I said, I spend a good deal of time teaching my martial art, which involves traveling a good deal to put on seminars and such for the various schools in the style/system I teach.

The Throw

I have been teaching for about twenty five years now, and I find myself in the odd position of being the senior instructor for my art, with only the head of the system above me. I am not quite sure how that happened as I have never cared about such things, I guess it is just a matter of having lived long enough and having never given up.

Like some other martial arts teachers, and unlike others, I have had to fight for my life a few times. I suspect that this gives me a certain kind of perspective on things, at least I think my approach is a bit different than those who have not been in that unfortunate position.I am not saying my approach is better, just different.

As I understand the whole exercise of blogging, what I am supposed to do is speak into space (as it were) and other people may or may not listen. So that is what I intend to do.



No comments: